If you're a snowbird that heads south for the winter, your home will likely need some prep work before you leave. Check out a few of these tips here:
1) Check your home insurance for requirements when you are away from your home. Many policies require a frequent inspection by someone.
2) Arrange for a service, friend, family member or neighbour to inspect your home regularly while you’re away to meet insurance requirements and check for frozen pipes, ensure snow & ice clearance, etc
3) Forward your mail, stop newspaper delivery and ask a friend to pick up items that may be left at your door.
4) Set the thermostat at 55°F or higher help keep water piping above freezing temperatures.
5) Avoid posting your vacation or travel plans on social media sites, as potential thieves can use that information to learn when your house will be vacant.
6) Prevent your home from appearing unoccupied. If possible, set some lights on timers to deter break-ins
7) If you are leaving a vehicle at home, ask your broker if you can get any credit for the vehicle not being used for a number of months. Consider putting a cover on it to keep dust off
8) Clean out your fridge and freezer of all perishables and empty the freezer in case of a power interruption – or, empty them entirely and turn them off, leaving the door propped open.
9) Be safe and have fun!