Most Canadian Insurance companies do not provide a specific dashcam discount on your car insurance. There are however ways dashcams can indirectly save you money on your car insurance. Dashcams are a great tool in the following situations:
- Dashcams record events leading up to and including a collision. The dashcam acts as a witness and records such things as weather conditions, what took place before and after an accident. The footage may clearly show evidence of fault in any collision allowing authorities and insurance companies to assign proper fault and avoid those often “he-said vs he-said” arguments.
- Dashcams can also be helpful in those wrongfully issued traffic tickets and may help you avoid paying a fine, and having a conviction which could increase your premium
- Some dashcams can be set to monitor motion to record the attempted theft or vandalism of a vehicle
- Dashcams are also a useful tool that can help protect yourself against possible staged accidents and insurance fraud.
- For a claims adjuster, the evidence based on a dashcam does make the claims process quicker and more straightforward
- Having a dashcam installed may positively affect your driving habits. It may foster careful, ethical driving behaviors thus reducing the risk
At the end of the day, a dashcam won't make any difference in your day-to-day driving, and it's certainly not a substitute for an insurance policy. That being said, a dashcam can bring you peace of mind and help resolve a claim faster in the case of an incident.